Setting goals and eating healthier is a great way to feel better, look better, lose weight, have more energy, and be in a better mood. Here are 10 tips to healthy eating to help get you started on the right track.
- Plan and prepare. If you have your healthy meals planned and ready then you are less likely to deviate for a fast food run or any other unhealthy option. Spend Sunday evening planning your meals for the upcoming week.
- Plan on eating 5 or 6 small meals per day. Your blood sugar will stay more regulated, it keeps you from overeating, and your body will become more efficient at producing energy.
- Breakfast should be your most important meal of the day. Researchers at the University of Massachusetts found that skipping breakfast increases the risk of obesity by 450%! Include Protein, fiber, good fats, and carbohydrates with breakfast.
- Eat moderate portions. Until you get used to eating 5 or 6 small meals a day – it may be easy to resort back to overeating like you did when you only ate 2 or 3 meals per day. Watch your portion sizes and know that you can eat again in 2 or 3 hours.
- Eat closer to nature. In other words – The closer something is to its natural state the better. An example would be choosing raw spinach over cooked spinach
- Eat slowly and chew food well. Learn to savor the food you eat and you will realize that you are full before you overeat.
- Learn to read labels. Stay away from “partially hydrogenated” and “high fructose corn syrup”. Learn more about what is on the label and what you need to stay away from. Remember the closer to nature the better.
- Drink plenty of water. Water should be the first thing that hits your stomach in the morning and you should stay hydrated all day. Drink before you are thirsty. A glass of water before a meal can keep you from overeating.
- Focus on fiber. A diet high in fiber has so many benefits. Learn about these benefits and take time to learn which foods provide quality forms of fiber.
- Take time to learn which foods are healthy and which are not. Do not get your food education from commercials on TV or advertising of any kind. Read good healthy eating books or search on the internet.
There you have 10 tips for healthy eating. Make healthy eating a life long goal and not something you practice a month out of the year. Healthy eating will help you feel great and have more enthusiasm. You will probably find that eating healthy will cause you to lose the taste for some of the unhealthy foods you used to eat.